Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mules - February 17, 2011

Kopp Disclosure
(John 3:19-21)



I mounted my mule on Tuesday despite the freezing temperature and rode to my favorite HD dealership in Woodstock, Illinois.

Return, her appellation which you can interpret spiritually, is due for major mileage service.

Anyway, I always enjoy visiting my favorite candy store.

Management, sales, service, and everybody else employed/associated with the oasis are so welcoming, inclusive, and, geez, golly, gosh, loving.

Whenever I'm there or anywhere in the biker culture, I am reminded of how church would be if Jesus were taken seriously.

It's weird.

If a motorcycle can do that for bikers, why can't Jesus do that for churches?



That first section is a shameless lead to my search for a publisher who will take a risk on my edgy, raw, and redemptive book on biker culture as metaphor and challenge to the church: I Just Wanna Ride (FTW).

Unlike my other books, it's gonna sell.

If you'd like to know why, go to page 11 of the March 2011 edition of Thunder Press motorcycle magazine (

The challenge is conventional biker publishers shy away from the Jesus talk and conventional religious publishers shy away from authenticity.



While there are some posers riding mules, I dare say there are more posers in pews/pulpits.

Even authentic Christians who've never mounted one know that.

I've found more integrity in 1%ers and the other 99% than most mainline denominations.

Read Revelation 3:14ff. and you'll be reminded of what I'm talking about.

That's why I've got a big 100% plastered on the back of one of my vests just below the Rainmakers MC rocker.

Most bikers are 100% committed to their culture; unlike most mainliners who are not 100% committed to Jesus.

I know that because I feel great around most bikers.

No one can say that about sooooooo many...



I'm reminded of what a little girl said to me on Wednesday when I interrupted our youth bell choir which I like to do because they know that's my way of expressing how much I love them.

She said, "You're sooooooo bald! Your bald head is soooooo shiny!"

I said, "That's because it gets oilier and oilier throughout the day."

She said, "Maybe you need to use body scrub on your head."

I said, "I do."

She said, "Maybe you need to take another bath."

I said, "Probably."


Very true.

And as I walked away, I thought of how the church needs to get washed up and be cleansed of...


Another conversation came to mind.

A man came and said, "I was baptized as a baby; but it didn't do anything for me. My parents didn't do their part. I never went to church. Clearly, Jesus wasn't a part of my life. But, now, I really know who He is and I think baptism would mean something for me now."

While my particular religious franchise aka denomination proscribes baptizing someone who was baptized as a baby, I asked a question that isn't asked enough in the practical application of faith: "What would Jesus do?"

Would Jesus say, "Absolutely not! You were baptized as a baby and that'll have to do!"?

I don't think so.

I believe He'd say, "Come to Me, all who..."

So I baptized him after saying, "I will baptize you because you were never really baptized."

Going through the motions doesn't make anyone authentic.

Bikers know that.

So do Christians.



Here's my point.

Bikers - and owning a motorcycle doesn't mean you're a part of the culture - know authenticity requires 100% commitment if you're going to be an authentic, uh, biker.

Christians - and church membership doesn't always certify faith - know authenticity requires 100% commitment to Jesus if you're going to be an authentic, uh, Christian.

Authenticity requires return to reason for being.

Bikers understand it means returning to the ride to freedom.

Christians understand it means returning to Jesus.

I think of it as the need for major mileage service.


Blessings and Love!

No comments: